The lab called Friday afternoon to tell me that my transfer was at 11am. My best friend Colleen and her husband Jeff (Anthony's godparents) came and took our minivan with all three kiddies and the triple stroller in tow and went to the zoo with them all day on Saturday. They are so wonderful to do this!
Pat and I arrived and they took me back. They got me situated and Pat changed into his scrubs. He joined me in the room and then we were told that there were two very nice embryos selected for transfer and I got pictures of them. Dr. J was there to do the transfer.
It was horrible. I don't even know where to begin. The concern about my uterus being folded turned out to not even be an issue. The problem is that my uterus is so high in my body (probably held up by adhesions from my cesareans) and my cervix is so freaking abnormal and long. My transfer with Nate was tricky and took about 20 minutes. This transfer took 4 attempts and over 2 hours. Dr. J told me that he has never had a more difficult transfer in his life. He said that if we have to do this again, he absolutely MUST be the one to do it because he couldn't begin to prepare someone for my case. He said that if he were on vacation on the other side of the world, he'd come back to do it. He also said that while he has never ever done such a thing, if we did it again, he'd likely put me under anesthesia. He told me that most patients wouldn't have endured what I did and he was sorry for the torture.
By the time we were done, Pat had bruises on his arm from me gripping him for the better part of 2 hours and my whole body was trembling from the pain. Pat got me home and comfortable and the kids got home in the late afternoon.
I'm really scared that this didn't work now... the trauma to my uterus combined with the stress to my body is not good. Not to mention, that in order to get the embryos in, they weren't handled as gently as we would have liked... it may be that they were destroyed before they were ever in my uterus. All that hope and excitement I've had about this cycle is gone. And I'm not sure I'm brave enough to even attempt again. My best guess is that we'll be thankful for our three little ones and move on.
So I'm PUPO and will treat my body as such for the next week or so. Beta is Dec 3rd but that's conservative... I can probably test on the 30th.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment